Thursday, September 17, 2020

BEEP BEEP THE ROAD RUNNER

Beep Beep the Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote made their debut on September 17, 1949 in "Fast and Furry-ous", a Warner Brothers Looney Tunes cartoon.





In 1973, I was commissioned by Novaro Publishing Co., to write and draw The Road Runner comics for the Spanish language market. The first few years I had to submit my story ideas and pencil sketches to Zetta DeVoe, Del Connell and Chase Craig at Western Publishing Company and upon their approval, I could proceed with the inking and coloring for publication. Later on, as they gained confidence in my work, I was only required to submit the finished artwork for their approval, which, of course, saved me a lot of time.

Those were great days in my cartooning career.  I split my time between The Road Runner and The Pink Panther comics until 1986, when NOVARO closed and I was forced to look for a job somewhere else.

In all, I did 156 issues of Beep Beep The Road Runner.

Remembering those bygone days, here is my last unpublished cover for THE ROAD RUNNER.

No comments:

Post a Comment